Spousal Work Permit

Spousal Work Permit

Are you the partner accompanying a student in Canada? Is your partner Canadian and you want to know what you have to do to get residency for couples?

Do you have children and want to know if there is any type of family visa that allows reunification?

Today we are going to tell you about all the options offered by the Canadian government for those foreigners who want to immigrate to the country with their partner, children, or family.


Family Visa or Family Sponsorship

With this visa, your family members will be able to study and work in Canada once they obtain permanent residence in the country. The family members who most take advantage of this visa are usually the children or the partner.

To do this, the person sponsoring your partner or children must be over 18 years of age and meet one of the following options:

  • Be a Canadian citizen

  • Be registered in the country under the Canadian Indian Act

  • Be a permanent resident

Also, the sponsor must demonstrate that they have financial solvency to cover the basic needs of the family member they are going to sponsor and that they do not receive social assistance for reasons other than a disability.


In most cases, the Canadian government will not require proof of a minimum income to sponsor your partner or children. Exceptionally, it will only ask for a minimum necessary income to be demonstrated if the main visa holder:

  • You want to sponsor a child who is dependent on minors.

  • You want to sponsor a couple who have a child with dependent children.

  • You can sponsor your partner whether they are married, if they are a de facto couple or if they demonstrate a relationship of more than a year.

Visas For Dependent Children

In the case of wanting to sponsor a child, the Canadian government requires that you meet the following requirements:

  • Be under 22 years old

  • Not being married or having a domestic partner

  • Children aged 22 or over would be considered dependents if they are unable to support themselves financially due to a specific physical or mental condition or have been financially dependent on their parents before turning 22.


Partner visas dependent on a Study Permit

If you are an international student studying full time with a valid student permit, your partner can choose to apply for an “open work permit”.

To request this, permit for the couple, the main visa holder must be a full-time student at:

  • Public post-secondary school, such as a college or university

  • University level private school in Quebec

  • Canadian private school that can legally grant bachelor's, masters, or doctorate degrees.

This permit will allow your partner to work full time while you are studying. Normally this "open work permit" will have the same duration as the Study Permit on which it depends. Unfortunately, you cannot request this permit for your partner if you study an English course. We remind you that the Canadian government does not grant work permits to language course students. You will only get the right to work through a Study Permit. This is only achieved through higher education courses. If you choose to pursue higher education in Canada, once you finish studying, the Canadian government offers different types of work permits with which you can extend your stay in the country.

They usually last between one and two years after you finish your studies and will generally be a perfect bridge to your permanent residence, should you want to stay in the country for the long term.

Contact Patel Canada Visa Today!

Please contact us for more information regarding Spousal Work Permit.

We recommend you to seek help from our professional and experienced consultants in filling and completing the application form accurately before submission. Our huge experience with many immigration issues will help you in getting the nomination acceptance.

If you think that you might be eligible, contact us immediately for more information or feel free to book an appointment for consultation with an immigration professional for more advice.