Calgary: +1(587) 897-8688, +1 (587) 349-0188

Federal Skill Workers

Get visa answers from the top foreign immigration consultancy in the canada.

9 + 3 =

Federal Skilled Workers

Canada is one of the most sought-after destinations for those who want to immigrate. To facilitate candidates interested in permanently living in the country, the Canadian government created Express Entry (EE).

EE is a point-based system for immigration. Through this system, the government created three programs: the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), Federal Skilled Workers (FSW), and Federal Skilled Trades (FST). Here, we will talk about Federal Skilled Workers (FSW).

FSW is aimed at qualified professionals with foreign work experience, who live in or outside Canada and wish to move permanently to any province in the country, except Quebec.

Best Canadian Immigration Consultant

Eligibility to participate in the FSW:

FSW has criteria for applicants, which involve qualified professional experience, age, education, adaptability, among others. You earn points for performance on each of the factors. Bearing in mind that to participate in the FSW, different from FST and CEC, you will need to obtain 67 points out of 100. This is a separate calculation from CRS points, where you receive the invitation, however with the same criteria above.

If you meet the minimum requirements for the program, you can apply for permanent residency and join the pool with other applicants. However, you will probably need more points, in addition to the minimum, to be invited.

The minimum requirements to be eligible for FSW are:


Professional Experience
To qualify for Federal Skilled Workers, you must have a minimum of one year of continuous full-time professional experience (30 hours per week) and be paid at a NOC 0, A, or B for the past 10 years.

Or, having worked the equivalent part-time. That is 15 hours per week continuously for 24 months in a NOC 0, A or B, for the past 10 years.

Puzzle Tip: the experience of working as an intern, as long as you pay, you can count on the FSW, if you meet the requirements mentioned above.

In English and/or French
You need to know how to communicate in one of Canada’s two official languages. Knowing English, French, or both helps you to enter the Canadian job market.

To prove your ability in English or French, you must take a proficiency test and obtain a minimum score of 7 out of all 4 skills assessed – writing, reading, listening, and speaking – on the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) for English and the Niveaux de Compétence Linguistique Canadiens (NCLC) for French.

If you are going to prove skills in both languages, for the second language chosen, you must reach the minimum level of CLB 5 or NCLC 5 in all four areas assessed.

To qualify for this program, you must have at least completed high school. However, keep in mind that the higher your level of education, the higher your score. If you studied in Canada, you must prove that you have completed your education, through the certificate, diploma, or degree and history of the completed course.

If you have foreign education, you must present the Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for immigration purposes. The ECA can only be done through an organization designated by the Canadian government, proving that your foreign education is equivalent to a certificate, diploma, or degree from a Canadian high school or higher education.

Of financial funds
You must prove that you have enough money for you and your family to settle in Canada unless you have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer.

Advantages of FSW:

     You can apply while living in India, even though you have never been to Canada.

     Freedom to choose the province you want to live in, except Quebec.

     You, your spouse, and your children will be able to study at a higher education institution by paying the price of the monthly student fee.

     Once the applicant becomes eligible for a Federal Skilled Worker Program, he/she gets access to benefits like Healthcare & Education subsidies.

     You and your spouse will be able to work without hours restriction

Do I need to be within Canada to apply?

No, you do not need to be within Canada to apply for this program. However, if you decide to stay in the country, you must have all your documentation and visa up to date and have no issues with Canadian justice.

If you have plans to immigrate in the future, it is important that you respect traffic laws, do not drink and drive, and obey all other laws in the country.

The applicant will need to prove that neither the principal applicant nor any dependents have a criminal record or any medical inadmissibility.

Contact Patel Canada Visa Today!

Please contact us for more information regarding FSW.

We recommend you to seek help from our professional and experienced consultants in filling and completing the application form accurately before submission. Our huge experience with many immigration issues will help you in getting the nomination acceptance.

If you think that you might be eligible, contact us immediately for more information or feel free to book an appointment for consultation with an immigration professional for more advice.


What are the basic eligibility criteria for immigrating to Canada?

Eligibility criteria vary based on the immigration program you choose. Generally, factors like age, education, work experience, and language proficiency are considered.

How can I improve my Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score?

Enhance your CRS score by improving language proficiency, obtaining higher education, gaining more work experience, and securing a job offer in Canada, among other strategies.

What is the Express Entry system, and how does it work?

Express Entry is a points-based system for managing immigration applications to Canada. It ranks candidates based on factors such as age, education, work experience, and language proficiency.

What is the difference between federal and provincial immigration programs?

Federal programs are managed by the Canadian government, while provincial programs are run by individual provinces. Each has its own criteria and targets specific skillsets or demographics.

How can an immigration consultant assist me in the process?

Immigration consultants can provide expert guidance, help you navigate complex paperwork, ensure accurate documentation, and increase the likelihood of a successful application.

What is the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), and how does it work?

PNPs allow provinces and territories to nominate individuals for immigration based on their specific economic needs. Each province has its own criteria and streams.

Can I apply for permanent residency if I don't have a job offer in Canada?

Yes, it’s possible. Express Entry and other immigration streams consider various factors, and a job offer is just one of them. However, having a valid job offer can significantly boost your chances.

What language proficiency tests are accepted for immigration purposes?

The most commonly accepted language tests are the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) and CELPIP for English and the TEF (Test d’évaluation de français) for French.

How long does the Canadian immigration process take?

Processing times vary based on the type of application and immigration stream. Generally, it can take several months to years. Express Entry, for example, aims to process applications within six months.

What is the difference between a work permit and permanent residency?

A work permit allows you to work in Canada temporarily, while permanent residency grants you the right to live and work in Canada indefinitely. Permanent residents also have access to social benefits and healthcare.


14 + 11 =